Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Our first English (well mostly Spanish) Preschool

Zane had a fantastic experience in Preschool (Age 3). I was NEVER going to send him to preschool but Zane's best friend & neighbor was going and REALLY wanted Zane to go to school with him. David and I prayed and said that if God wanted Zane to go to this school ONLY HE could open the doors and allow it to happen. You see it was late into registration and there was a waiting list of 15 other students just for Preschool Age 3. 24 hours after inquiring about a spot in the preschool class, HE HAD A SPOT. Not because of his dashing good looks;) or his smashing personality, NOPE because of a connection. Isn't that how it always works down here! So Zane started preschool and ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! And you know what? SO DID I! I had 3 hours to myself every morning. I could work out, go shopping, cook, clean, go out for coffee with a friend, and go to my spanish class. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT AND I GOT A LITTLE SPOILED! Well now that it is summer vacation for us, I was really wondering what Zane I would do everyday together.
Then it hit me. As a 3 1/2 yr old, Zane could use a little bit of a boost in his English vocabulary. He mixes his English and spansih when he talks about shapes, numbers, and colors. He can only identify a few letters and NO numbers. So I made it my personal goal to do 1 hour a day of English preschool with Zane. I started looking up activities on line and found a whole mini world of homeschooler/tot school/preschool/activities/blogs/websites that I could explore FOREVER! The old teacher in me was in heaven.

When people started asking me about what we were doing for summer break, I started to tell people about my idea for English preschool. All of my 'mommy' friends thought it was a superb idea and joked about having their child come and learn English along with Zane. Well that joke turned into a great missionary/mommy idea. We are now inviting 2 or 3 of Zane's friends & their mothers over to our house every Friday at 6pm to have English Preschool and Tea time. Zane and I are really excited about our idea. All week Zane and I do activites based on a book that help learn and reinforce ABCs, numbers, shapes and colors and then Zane choose which ones to share with his friends on Friday. Here are the pictures from our 1st English preschool... Trinidad and Agustin were invited this week. I think Agustine will be invited every week because he is Zane's best buddy! Here the kids are filling in the first letter of their name with playdough & craft sticks. It is interesting because I'm learning where each student is at. Agustine already knows all of his ABCs and Trini knows less letters than Zane. All different levels. Just like the classroom, right?


Agustine is filling his letter A with M&Ms. Yummy!


Next we read the book 'Brown Bear Brown Bear' and did 3 different activites. Here Agu is using his M&Ms to do a color graphing activity. Look at that concentration!!

Zane is finding the colored animals in his I Spy bottle then coloring the correct animal the correct color.


Trinidad is throwing the dice then graphing her results. Which animal will make it to 5 first?


No fair. No warning. Sorry ladies! They look bored here, but really they loved it! This is Valeria and Gabby. They are the mothers of Trinidad and Agustine. They enjoyed watching their kiddos learning and having fun. They are eager to come back next week. I am excited to have these ladies and other ladies into my home. I am excited to develop deeper relationships with them and share God's love. Pray that I have opportunitites to share the gospel with them.

Agustine's new little precious brother, Nicolas.


Zane & Agu are assembling a Brown Bear Puzzle.


Trini is finding the head & tail matches.


Busy little learners..... until next week....

Pray for us as we meet, learn, and share God's love with others.

Most of the activites this week I found @ http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.com

No comments: